Sunday, June 24, 2007

Remember Ye, St. Kieran's Day ...


Recently, we celebrated St. Kieran's Day, which happens to coincide very closely with a certain author's birthday. One of the many notable events of St. Kieran's Day was the limerick contest, in which we challenged our friends to bring their best poetry skills to the table. I'd like to share with you some of my favorites:


For years Kieran’s mind has been swelling
And with no women in his dwelling
He handles his briefs
But finds no relief
To satisfy his interest compelling.

- Andy Busam

I once knew a young man who would sweat.
He’d cause Noah’s flood, I’d bet.
Any hot day in June,
When the sun’s at high Noon,
You’ll find him around, soaking wet.

- Bryan Anderson

There once was a man named O’Dwyer
Who needed a butler and said he would hire.
With a monkey-like hop
I considered his plot,
To live in his closet or dryer.

- Mike Helgen


And, of course, the winner of the contest:


There once was a man named Kieran
Whose friends were aghast and a’fearin’.
For Kieran had found
And bought by the pound
Leopard Speedos which now he was wearin’.


- Mike Bernabo


These are truly classics of modern literature. If you'd like a more full account of the evening, you can find it in one of the greatest works of our time.

No comments: