Thursday, September 20, 2007

Notes on Those Crazy Greeks ...

So last night Mike and Kieran and I trekked on over to Fuddruckers (the place with the name that seems dirty) for cheap burgers. And, as befits a place crammed with tacky, faux-americana where you shove fried beef into your pie-hole, we were talking about the various theories of the ancient Greeks and Romans. We got into Pythagoras and the following resulted:

Kieran: Pythagoras was a smart mathemetician, but his philosophy theories are really screwed up.

Emeric: That doesn't suprise me. I mean, today, you can't be an American unless you have a half-cocked crazed political theory about how the country should work. In Elizabethan England, you had to be able to recite sonnets, even if the sonnets were the worst things ever written. In Ancient Greece, to be a man you had to a philosophical theory about how the world worked that was completely different from anything anyone had ever said before. It's what you'd talk about at parties.

A few days earlier, my cousin Pat and I had the following chat concering where I would be staying for Molly's wedding:

Emeric: I mean, don't get me wrong. I love waterslides, hot tubs and the like. And I like playing at such places with my siblings. But that park will be crammed.

Patrick: Exactly.

Emeric: And not with the "slamming hotties" I've come to expect.

Patrick: This, I imagine, will be more of the "snotting fatties" variety.

It's frightening how accurate that was.

No comments: